ASHA 2015 Highlights



It's hard to believe ASHA 2015 is over!  It was a whirlwind three days, filled with amazing friends, great new therapy ideas, and meeting many of you.



One of the best parts was spending time with these amazing ladies!


I loved getting to spend time with these 14 wonderful bloggers - Felice (the Dabbling Speechie), Jenna (Speech Room News), Cheri (Super Power Speech), Hallie (Speech Time Fun), Jessica (Consonantly Speaking), Jenn (Crazy Speech World), Whitney (Let's Talk), Nicole (Allison's Speech Pees), Lauren (Busy Bee Speech), Shannon (Speechy Musings), Danielle (Sublime Speech), Courtney (Speech Therapy with Courtney), Rachel (Let's Talk Speech Therapy), and Maureen (the Speech Bubble SLP)!  We've all known each other online for about three years now, but I've only had the privilege of meeting a couple in person before this week.



All 15 of us spent time at the SLP Bloggers Booth 429 in the exhibit hall, and we also hosted a meet and greet on Thursday night, organized by the fabulous Felice from The Dabbling Speechie. 






We had a great turnout with over 100 people gathering for desserts (provided by the fabulous ladies at Yapp Guru) and giveaways.  We had tons of great prizes donated, including gift certificates from all of our stores, a Super Duper gift certificate, app codes from I Can Do Apps and Erik X. Raj, subscription boxes from Time for Speech, an R Made Simple kit, Quick Take Alongs from Super Duper, Smarty Symbols subscription, and more!  

I also attended some great sessions while at ASHA.  I love being inspired by practical new ideas that I can come home immediately and implement on Monday! Some highlights included:



Listening to my friends Nicole Allison (from Allison's Speech Peeps) and Jenna Rayburn (from Speech Room News) present on practical ideas to incorporate the CCSS into therapy.


Learning about ideas to use story books in therapy from my friend Maureen Wilson from The Speech Bubble SLP.

Other sessions I really enjoyed were on how to teach inferencing skills, how to target complex syntax systematically with your students, and how to support math skills from a language persepective.

On Saturday, I had the privilege and honor of co-presenting a session in front of 100 people titled "Social Media Resources for Today's SLP" with my good friends Maureen Wilson (The Speech Bubble SLP), Danielle Reed (Sublime Speech), Felice Clark (The Dabbling Speechie) and Cheri Chin (Super Power Speech).  I will definitely remember it as a highlight of my career!  It went so well that I already am thinking about session proposals for next year.  :)








While ASHA 2015 in Denver was my first ASHA convention, it certainly won't be my last!  I am already looking forward to Philadelphia next year.

2 comments

Back to Top