2016: A New Year



This New Year's Eve, I took a moment to reflect on the resolutions I made for 2015, as well as what I want to focus on for 2016.

Here were the resolutions I made last year:

  • Attend the ASHA convention.   Update:  Done!  I had an amazing time with some of my best blogging friends, and I'm so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone to fly and travel to Denver all by myself.

  • Leave school AT school.  Update:  Ongoing.  I'm getting a lot better about this, but I think it's definitely an ongoing battle!

  • Earn more CEU's.  Update:  Partially Completed.  Attending the ASHA convention did help, but I didn't do as many online courses during the rest of the year as I had hoped.

  • Better inform/involve parents of students.  Update:  Ongoing.  I think my parent/teacher speech-language handouts have greatly helped me to better explain what I do in therapy and why it is important, but I think there is always room for improvement.

  • Keep creating materials.  Update:  Done (and Ongoing!).  My goal was to make at least 15 new products for my store, and I have added 16 new items in 2015.  I must admit, that doesn't sound like a lot, and it's hard not to compare myself to other sellers that put out many times that amount of products each year.  But most of my products tend to be in the 30 hour + range to create, and they take a lot of creative energy - and I am proud of all of the products in my store.

  • Blog at least once per week.  Update:  Done!  I'm proud to say that I was able to keep up with this commitment.

Looking ahead to 2016, I decided that instead of setting specific resolutions for myself, I wanted to focus on a particular theme.  After much deliberation, my word for 2016 is...



Balance.


If you know me, you know this is a continual struggle!  I'll be honest, it is very hard to juggle being a full time school SLP, wife, blogger, material creator, and the role of president of Snyders Publishing.  But at the same time, they are all roles I love to have, and I haven't done the best job of balancing them all in the past year.

That is why my 2016 focus word is balance.  I know that I need to step back from some tasks and responsibilities, and focus more on others.  That means I have to say "no" to some opportunities that come my way, which is hard for me to do, but I know I need to take care of myself better.  I need time to recharge my creative batteries and spend quality time with those that are important to me.

So what does that mean for you?  Well, don't worry, I still plan on keeping up with this blog!  (To be honest, I have so many ideas to share that I might burst if I don't have a place to share them!)  I probably won't be posting every week though - I am aiming for at least twice a month.  I also will keep working on creating quality speech and language materials to post in my TeachersPayTeachers store.  (I have several half-finished ideas that I hope to complete in the near future!)  I also plan to attend the TpT Seller Convention again this July for more inspiration and ideas to help the creation process happen a little faster.

Tell me, what is your focus word for 2016?  Leave a comment below - I would love to know!

2 comments

  1. I'm glad you are bursting with ideas because I can't wait to hear them! I really enjoy your blog. Since i haven't chosen a word yet, maybe i need to consider organize. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I feel you on the balance! I've had re-evaluate where to throw my energy, which means saying no to some things I really like doing! Being busy all the time isn't necessarily a good thing, but it IS good that you can recognize that and make the changes you need to make. We are all a work in progress :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top